February 2016 | Volume 212, No. 3
In This Issue
People & Ideas
- TOPBP1 regulates RAD51 phosphorylation and chromatin loading and determines PARP inhibitor sensitivity
TOPBP1 acts in homologous recombination repair, impacts the response to chemotherapeutic agent olaparib, and exhibits aberrant patterns in subsets of human ovarian carcinomas.
- Peroxisomes move by hitchhiking on early endosomes using the novel linker protein PxdA
Microtubule-based motility of peroxisomes is achieved by hitchhiking on early endosomes using the novel endosome-associated linker protein PxdA.
- EHBP1L1 coordinates Rab8 and Bin1 to regulate apical-directed transport in polarized epithelial cells
The novel protein EHBP1L1 links Rab8 to Bin1and dynamin to regulate apical transport in epithelial cells.
- Unattached kinetochores rather than intrakinetochore tension arrest mitosis in taxol-treated cells
Taxol induces extensive structural reorganization of the mammalian kinetochore; however, this reorganization is not sufficient to maintain a long-term mitotic arrest unless some of the kinetochores completely lose their attachment to microtubules.
- Global reorganization of budding yeast chromosome conformation in different physiological conditions
Movement of the GAL locus to the nuclear periphery is part of a large-scale rearrangement of chromosome architecture induced by glucose withdrawal and is regulated by the activities of histone acetyltransferases and histone deacetylases.
- Distinct requirements for intra-ER sorting and budding of peroxisomal membrane proteins from the ER
An intra-ER sorting process regulates segregation, packaging, and budding of peroxisomal importomer subcomplexes, thereby preventing their premature assembly at the ER.
- Modulation of FAK and Src adhesion signaling occurs independently of adhesion complex composition
Adhesion signaling of integrin adhesion complexes (IACs) is sensitive to inhibition of key IAC kinases (FAK and/or Src), but IAC composition is not, demonstrating a separation between signaling and structural contributions of IAC components.